Invoke ActionScript functions from WCF

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Hello. Would anybody be so kind as to help me invoke AS2/3 function using WCF Flash Remoting?

ps. NetworkConnection.client

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I'm not really sure what you're asking for - the "Documentation" tab has full examples for simple and complex calls from flash to WCF. 

If you're looking to make some calls from WCF as though it were a Flash Remoting client, that portion hasn't been built, though it shouldn't be difficult to tweak... hmm, I never thought of that use before now.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:54 PM

>>I'm not really sure what you're asking for - the "Documentation" tab has full examples for simple and complex calls from flash to WCF.

Yes you are.

U have built nice project but not bidirectional so not possible to use for realtime games bla bla bla...

Not sure about AMF but RTMP gives posibility to call client side method.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2010 at 4:07 PM

AMF is not a bidirectional protocol; it operates over HTTP, which makes a request, gets a response, and closes.  If you're looking for bidirectional, you'll have to check out something like Jabber or NetTcp.  AMF will not work in either way.

Sorry, I can't help, and this protocol (let alone this project) is totally not for your setup if that's what you're looking for.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Yes you have to use the RTMP protocol, which uses the AMF serialization itself. If you are a .net developer you can look at 2 products: WebOrb and FluorineFX.

I have tried both and i had different issues with both. I can't recommand those products for bigger projects.

So you have other possibilities:

Maybe you can use Red5 (java based) or the official "Adobe Flash Media Server or you can download the RTMP and AMF specification and implement your own server. This is what i have done, it took me only a week or two to get everything to work.

Now i have my own C# RTMP server running with AMF0 and AMF3 support and it works very nice. Our website www.funwin.com is using this implementation.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Hello bernpi.

I have already do some investigation but need more information about rtmp/rtmpt.

Also i have tried Red5 but Red5 does not suit me bcs i'm a .NET developer.

Now i working with FluorineFX and had some setup problems on start.

FluorineFX sends too much redundant information like a codecs bla bla bla.

So bernpi, would you be so kind as to conntact me via email to answer some questions? 62316e(at)gmail.com

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Intriguing, I'd never heard of RTMP before.  62316e, my apologies, but WcfFlashRemoting does not currently support this functionality, though it is a feature I am greatly interested in and will seek to employ in the future.

If there are any samples for RTMP available, I would appreciate if you could direct me to them so I can add support as quickly as possible.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM

>>If there are any samples for RTMP available, I would appreciate if you could direct me to them so I can add support as quickly as possible.

There is FluorineFX (.NET) open source server and Red5 also open source Java server.

Both of them have support for RTMP and RTMPT.

Please contact me by mail 62316e at gmail.com or SKYPE# b62316e may be we will able to help each other.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Hi, here is a link to the RTMP specification. Adobe made them public some time ago.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/rtmp/

It's really very usefull when you need to commicate in both directions, like in multiplayer games.  RTMP stands for "Real Time Messaging Protocol" and was desigend for audio and video streaming, but it also offers a way to invoke methods on the other end (client calls server, server calls client).

I worked with WebOrb (a commercial implementation) and got several issues. Support is terrible - only if you purchase the commercial support licence. The server has memory leaks, nothing is threadsafe you get exceptions all the time - very very bad code.

Than i worked with FluorineFX (open source) and this is much better. Still i had issues as soon as many clients connect and do method invocations. Suddently the server takes 100% cpu load an blocks all other calls.

Anyway, if you only need the RPC part of the RTMP protocol it's not that hard to do it when you read the specifications.

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM

The RPC part of RTMP is definitely a feature I want to add to WcfFlashRemoting.  I will look into the specification and start working on it when I have time.